Is your closet overflowing with clothes, shoes, and accessories? Do you have clothes that stay in the laundry room, on your floor, or on that random chair in your house because there is no more room in your dresser drawers? This is where our culture will tell you to buy more storage or get a bigger closet, but I will tell you that it is time to downsize your wardrobe (because I love you and want to help de-clutter your life). So, here are some tips for downsizing your wardrobe and choosing what stays and what goes.
- Dedicate a day to go through every clothing item and accessory you own. Buy some of your favorite snacks, turn on an awesome playlist, get some coffee and mentally prepare yourself to let go.
- Invite a friend over for emotional support if you’d like. Make sure its a good friend who can tell you the truth when you want to keep that dress with the sparkly chunky belt that even the spice girls wouldn’t wear. However, be cautious not to turn this time into a dress-up party and not get anything done.
- DO NOT LOSE FOCUS. you can do this. Right away, you should be able to designate areas for keep, give away/donate, and maybe.
- Try on any clothes that you haven’t worn in the past three months. How do you feel when you’re wearing that item? Do you feel confident? Do you feel self-conscious? Be honest with yourself.
- When is the last time you wore that item? If it is in season at this time and you haven’t worn it since last season or the year before, get rid of it.
- Is this item something you like but you have another similar item you usually wear instead? Get rid of it!
- Is this item something you got from a vacation but it doesn’t fit or you don’t feel awesome in it? Get rid of it! You will always have memories without holding on to the t-shirt with the city name on it that you brought back.
- Do not hang on to “fat clothes” or “skinny clothes”. Your wardrobe should be something that empowers you. Not something that makes you feel deficient. You are perfect just the way you are, and your clothes should show that off!
- Do not keep any items from an ex. And do not feel pressured to keep something because it was a gift! It was the thought that counts. If you are worried about your grandma asking why you never wear the sweater vest she bought you, just let her know that it wasn’t flattering on you, but you were able to sell it and buy this cute (insert item) instead!
- Only keep items that bring you joy. Your wardrobe belongs to you and no one else. Why would you want to wake up each morning and go through clothes that don’t fit right or make you feel like the boss babe that you are?
- Once you have bagged up your donate/give away items, hang up and put away all of your keep items. Now, you may go through your maybe pile. Does there seem to be plenty of room for these clothes? Now that you’ve only kept the items that bring you joy, you should be able to quickly look through your maybe pile and see right away which items are keep and which are give away.
- Be sure to give away/donate those items within a few days (if not that afternoon). This will keep you from going through the bags just to make sure you didn’t accidentally give away anything that you might regret. These items served their purpose while you had them and now they will belong to someone else. So send them away with a deep exhale.
- Now that you are finished, take a look at your wardrobe. Take note of which items you feel most confident in. Remember that next time you are shopping. Yes, that model looks amazing in that romper, but you got rid of your rompers because they didn’t make you feel like the sexy human that you are! This doesn’t mean you should never branch out. Just a reminder not to spend your money on items that you won’t rock with confidence.
Once your closet is put back together and no longer looks like an overstock room for a department store, give yourself a high-five and relax in there like you’ve never done before. You will be amazed at how easy it is to pick out an outfit the next morning. You know that you only own clothes, shoes, and accessories that you are going to feel and look amazing in! How awesome is that?! Best of luck to all who give this a try. You got this! XOXO.